Monday, March 30, 2009

Memorable gift


I spoke Saturday night to a meeting of the Friends of the Canyon Library. There were about 50 or so in attendance in the 7-year-old library and none revoked their membership, so maybe my speech didn't go that badly.

I really think I came out ahead. I'm not sure what the audience got out of it, but I can tell you what I did. As an appreciation gift, I got my very own Snuggie. Yes, the blanket with sleeves. It's the cult gift that has a life of its own. More than 4 million of the ridiculous things have been sold, which I've poked fun at before.

Not just any Snuggie, but it was a royal blue Snuggie sewn with a "Friends of the Canyon" patch. I'll be honest, this is something that I'm never going to forget.

But I'm sure going to try.

On a somewhat related note, I saw Vince, who is the Sham-Wow guy, now pitching for a product whose name escapes me, but it slices and dices vegetables and fruit just like that. Good news: He still wears his wrap-around microphone. Bad news: If you had called within 10 minutes, you would have received some big savings.

No comments: