Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Overlooked -- and good -- restaurants

I drive by the place almost every day on the way home from work. It's a restaurant on Paramount, 2028 Paramount to be exact just south of I-40. Goes by the name of Fernando's.

The entire month they've run a special on their marquee: "March Special, two enchiladas, 6 oz. sirloin, $7.95." I'm intrigued every time I go by there, but have yet to stop in. It being March 31, I'm about to run out of time.

Those familiar with that building know it's been a myriad of failed eating establishments for years. But Fernando's has hung tough for quite a while. That's a pretty good feat considering some buildings and places seemed cursed, and the competition for good Mexican food in Amarillo is tough.

Something tells me Fernando's is a pretty good place, though. Does anyone know?

What other off-the-beaten path places to eat do people recommend? Everyone seems to have their little favorites, just like fishermen have their favorite out-of-the-way spots on a lake.

No comments: