Monday, August 10, 2009

Story of my life

In a weak moment a year or so ago, I agreed to be nominated for second vice-president of the Amarillo Downtown Kiwanis Club. And in a weaker moment, the membership elected me.

As an officer, one of the duties is to attend various conventions. As vice-president this year, I spent the weekend in Rockwall, a suburb northeast of Dallas, for the Texas-Oklahoma district convention. Nice site at a Hilton on the shores of Lake Ray Hubbard.

Next year, the T-O convention is in Abilene. Nice town, Abilene, and cities that size really roll out the red carpet on events like this. It will probably be similar to 2008 when Amarillo hosted the convention.

But at Rockwall, the 2011 convention site was voted upon, the year I will no longer be an officer and the year I will no longer be going. And the winner was Galveston.

Further, the entire three-day convention will be on a Carnival Cruise Line that will sail from Galveston to Cozumel and back. That's right, a three-day cruise/convention that takes pampered to a whole new level.

Carnival cruise or Abilene? Carnival Cruise or Abilene? Aaaaaaarrrgghh!

No comments: