Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Best Little Whorehouse."

Of all the whorehouses I've had the pleasure of being a part of, Sunday afternoon's was the best. Well, what I mean was that the Amarillo Little Theatre's final producation of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" was darn good.

For one thing, its 2:30 p.m. matinee spared me the added frustation of watching the Cowboys in the second half stumble their way to an overtime win over the terrible Chiefs. I would have preferred an Elizabeth Barrett Browning poetry reading over that. At least my blood pressure would have been lower.

But BLWIT was very well done. It's not like I'm at every production locally that opens the door, but I've seen my share, and the local talent was quite good.

Heather Manderson (Miss Mona), Mark Jones (Sheriff Ed Earl Dodd) and Jason Crespin (crusading watchdog journalist Melvin P. Thorpe) were exceptional. But Scott Royster's brief role as the Texas governor nearly stole the show. And it's because of him that I can't get that song out of my head -- "Ewwww, I'd like to dance a little sidestep..."

No comments: