Tuesday, March 16, 2010

One's man trash is another's treasure


Steve Britt takes exception to one Mr. Peter Cheney, an automotive writer with the Toronto Globe and Mail, who has put together a list of the 12 worst cars ever built.

The Dirty Dozen looked like the Best of Breed of the now-defunct American Motors. The old Gremlin, of course, was on the list. And Britt called to take exception.

"I have driven many contented miles in my Gremlin," Britt said.

Britt comes from somewhat of a Gremlin family. His dad bought a 1974 Gremlin new some 36 years ago, and his dad and sister put well over 100,000 miles on it.

A few years ago, Britt bought a '74 Gremlin with well more than 100,000 miles too. The engine had been reworked, and Britt has since had a new clutch in it. It's basically a summertime car, but it's been worth the investment.

"It's been good to me and my family," said Britt.

Britt's only complaint is the color. It's green, which on Wednesday, St. Patrick's Day, is great. But maybe not the other 364 days.

"It's green," he said. "I really hate that color. It's not my favorite. The people before me rebuilt it and repainted it for their daughter. But as far as driving, it's been wonderful."

And it just goes to show you that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

No comments: