Friday, August 13, 2010

An I-40 eyesore

Probably back in the 1970s, if memory serves, there was no finer hotel in the city than the new Hilton that opened at I-40 and Lakeside. It was expansive, had a nice atrium, and new for the time, rooms opened into the interior of the hotel.

In many ways, it was what the Ambassador Hotel is now. But in the ensuing decades, it's gone through different names. At one time, I believe it was a Radisson. It seemed to go gradually down hill, then in the last few years, quickly down hill.

The latest name, before the hotel closed, was Amarillo Airport Plaza Hotel. A friend of mine called it the Bates Motel.

It looks like a rat trap now. I pass by it once a week going to a prison ministry class. A once-proud hotel is in complete disarray. Now it appears that mattresses and other room furnishings are being pulled out of there.

Makes you wonder if the building will eventually be torn down. But it seems like its days as a hotel are over.

1 comment:

Mike said...

My ex-wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon back in '79 and the place was fairly new then.

I remember the rooms being around 70 dollars/night with suites going for a hundred plus. That might not sound like much now, but considering there was a Coachlight Inn across the road with rooms for 9.99.....