Tuesday, February 24, 2009

AC grad, 85, remembers Dr. Jones

The death from cancer of Amarillo College president Dr. Stephen Jones on Sunday has caused much reaction from the community. Now here's one that really stands out, in an e-mail from Monday from Ellen Nizzi:

"I was shocked with today's front page story. My memory of Dr. Jones is vivid. I can remember his encouraging words on graduation night, May 13, 2005. As an 85-year-old with her newly earned Associate's Degree, he whispered and said, 'Just keep up the good work.' I heeded his advice and at the present time, I am continuing my education in the PEL program with Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida.

"Amarillo College was fortunate to have had him as their President for such a short time. He will be missed."

Did you catch that? 85 years old? Now either Ms. Nizzi took the slowest degree plan in the history of higher education, or she may have got a late start and got an associate degree in her 80s. And she's STILL going to school.

Sounds like there's a story in here somewhere.

No comments: