Friday, March 27, 2009

Roads not too bad

Last night, I expected a lot more of a challenge in getting to work this morning. In fact, I'd prepared to work from home. But the city roads were functional and pretty tolerable in getting around this morning.

It took me 15 minutes to navigate the four miles from home in the Paramount area to downtown, and that included a stop at a near-empty Starbuck's for coffee. It didn't take much longer than normal.

I averaged about 25 mph and didn't slip or slide once in the old Trailblazer as I went through 11 traffic signals. I guess the flares will go unusused.

Now this could change as the day continues, but there's just not that much snow. Now north wind and cold, yeah, but as long as I wasn't in a convertible, it wasn't a bad navigation. As of 9 a.m., there are eight of us in the newsroom.

The only thing that could be a problem is a dumb mistake. The Trailblazer, which I usually don't drive, was in the garage last night. So the windshield was clean. When I got to work, knowing I'd need one later, I looked around for an ice scraper. Not in the glove compartment, none under the seat.

Great. There's probably six scrapers in my car. Which is at home.

1 comment:

txbugkillers said...

glad you made it to work, in true Putt Powell fashion. also loved your piece on missing Amarillo; you are one of the few guys at the paper that prevents our paper from having a total corporate rag feel. Roasters will make you an Orange Julius that is pretty close to the orginal.