Monday, April 13, 2009

Weird dreams

There's a piece on msn.com today about interpretation of dreams. My dreams make no sense. They're stupid, very much like my conscious thoughts. Or I will wake up in the morning and know I had a dream but can't quite put it together.

But my wife and I do have the same dream over and over. Well, not the same. She has hers, and I have mine. My wife has been chased by more tornadoes in her sleep than a team full of storm chasers. She's like Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz" -- times 10.

According to the dream interpretation story, being chased is No. 5 on the list. "This indicates that you may be feeling you have a lot of responsibilities that you are having a hard time keeping up with." This dream is often known as a "stress dream," indicating that its presence is a sign to try to relax and slow down.

My repeat dream is being in college, taking a full load and totally blowing off one class (circa 30 years ago that may not have been much of a dream). Anyway, I don't go for weeks, but need to pass the class badly. I finally go to the class for the final exam, and don't have a clue as to what's been going on.

I thought that was just my own little odd dream, but that's No. 3 on the list, or close to it. No. 3 is defined as back in the classroom or you've failed a test.

"This dream indicates that there is a challenge in your life and you fear failing. It also can mean that you may feel that you have regressed in some way and are not up to the task currently at hand. You may also feel judged or tested by an authority figure or someone who is in charge of you in some way."

The most common dream is faulty or lost items, meaning your phone won't work, your car breaks down or you can't find your husband. This dream is alerting you to areas of your life that need repair or extra care.

Of course, if you're male and you keep dreaming that you can't find your husband, there could be other issues.

Others in the top 10:

2. Money: you received a windfall, or you lost your savings in the stock market.
4. You or a loved one is ill or dying.
6. Teeth: you're smiling with nice, clean teeth, or your teeth are breaking off or forming cavities.
7. Nudity. (This may be too much information, but I've had this one several times too. It usually involves being jaybird naked surrounded by a lot of people, and trying to like crazy to get back home or just find some clothes). I'm not even going to explain that interpretation.
8. Falling, flying, or sinking.
9. Water.
10. Missing a boat, plane, bus, etc.

Then there's the one about snakes. Doesn't mean what I thought it did, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me , too, on the #3 dream. Mine manifests itself in a similar way to yours. I find out at the end of a semester that I have a class that I forgot about and never went to. Now it's time to take the final, but I haven't been all semester. I've been out of school for 22 years, but it still messes me up when I have that dream.

I guess I feel better that I have a "common" recurring dream. I don't know about you, but the explanation doesn't really seem to fit me. I guess I'll need to think more about it next time I have the dream.
Becky