Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cure for the fat wallet

As I suspected, there are several of you out there who are victims of the Fat Wallet Syndrome. It cost me three pairs of pants and some grief from friends before I downsized last week. All the old junk is setting on my dresser and will eventually go into some place for safekeeping.

The feeling is quite liberating back there. It's almost like I'm floating.

Bill Sexton had that same problem years ago but went a different way. For those of you above the age of 50 who grew up in Amarillo, you may recall Bill as the longtime morning radio host on KGNC. The man with the smooth rich voice played contemporary easy-listening music for much of the 1970s.

Bill had a fat wallet, and then did something drastic.

"I carry a purse," he said.

What? He carries a purse and has for years, he said. It started out with basically a camera bag and has long since become more chic. Now he has a big leather purse. But don't people make fun of you?

"If they do," he said, "I hit them with my purse. But it's one of the best things I've ever done."

And Sexton has an appropriate name for his carry-all.

"I call it a 'male bag,'" he said.

No comments: