Friday, May 8, 2009

Trekkie alert!


One of my favorite skits on "Saturday Night Live" was when William Shatner hosted. In it he reprised his role at Capt. Kirk and was speaking at a Star Trek Convention in front of some wacked-out Trekkies (are there any other kind?)

"You people need to get a life!" Shatner said. He then goes on to castigate them for their continued obsession with a TV show that lasted just a few years in the 1960s. It was good stuff.

There are four things that scare me: clowns, rattlesnakes, tornadoes at night, and Trekkies. The latter will be out in full force in a theater near you beginning tonight.

The new "Star Trek" prequel opens this weekend with the future Capt. Kirk and Dr. Spock as they all kind of reach the Starfleet Academy and then some bad guys show up, etc.

The movie has received excellent reviews. Rottentomatoes.com., a movie review clearinghouse, gives it a 94 percent review. Anything above 60 is considered good.

I'll probably see it at some point after the Trekkies have filtered in and out. Although I'm sure I'll be with some who are seeing it for the 14th time and are now mouthing the dialogue from memory.

I've just never been much of a science fiction fan. Too much science and fiction, I guess. The "Star Wars" movies were OK, but never did a whole lot for me. I don't think I've seen any of the 213 "Star Trek" movies.

But I loved "Apollo 13" and "The Right Stuff." Probably because they were true and there were absolutes in the movie. The Star Trek producers shouldn't worry too much. They'll get my $7.50, but it won't be this weekend, for sure.

No comments: