Monday, June 1, 2009

Sanctity of life?


I don't even pretend to begin to understand extremists. They are so far out there how can any sane person begin to?

First, I fall into the pro-life camp. I am against abortion with the exception of rape and incest. That probably puts me in with the majority of the public.

So I would have a problem with Dr. George Tiller of Wichita, Kan., one of the nation's few providers of late-term abortions. In other words, I don't agree with what he does.

But here comes some zealot and shoots and kills Tiller on Sunday -- while he's serving as an usher in a house of worship, no less.

What's wrong with this picture? Some extremist who is obviously hard-line anti-abortion and a strong believer in the sanctity of life has no problem entering a house of God and gunning down a 67-year-old man. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

It's times like these that I'm reminded of a quote I've heard before that I'll paraphrase: "I'm in favor of pro-life, but it's the pro-life people I can't stand."

No comments: