Thursday, August 27, 2009

Down, but not out

I should have known it would take more than a broken right arm and a series of other setbacks to prevent James Field from his letterwriting. I got yet another letter from him just the other day, and I must say it was good to get it. It was a little difficult to read, but worth it.

"Hello Jon Mark, My Dear Friend.

"I have got about 50 letters because of your story in the paper. One was from Joe Lombard, the Canyon coach. Nice letter saying he remembered James Field. Saying having him yell for you meant 8 to 10 points.

"As you can see I am just starting to use my arm and hand again. Today is 22 of August, Saturday. Just leaving from visiting old Tascosa retired wrestling coach Johnny Cobb. He was visiting me because of your story in the paper. We had a great visit remembering old Rebels.

"He was telling me Brandon Slay is now a great coach and the Lady Rebels was doing great. Hope you can read this. First letter since being in the hospital. Jon, I just wanted to say thanks. Wendy Marsh sent me a homemade cake because of your story. Thanks.

"James B. Field.
Am sitting here 10 o'clock in Vet. hosp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is very sweet. I have good memories of Mr. and Mrs. Field being in the stands at Tascosa ... at every single game ... and then when Dad went on to Randall, they still were fans.

I've never in my life known anyone to be quite as loyal as those two.