Thursday, April 1, 2010

Big anniversary day


I'm sure most of you already know this, but today is not only April Fool's Day, but a huge anniversary date as well. It may even be on your calendar, but today, April 1, is the 2 1/2-year anniversary that entertainment writer Brad Newman has taken the stairs and refused to ride the elevator up to the newsroom.

The reason I know of this monumental date is that's about all Brad has talked about all week. But this honorable streak began on Oct. 1, 2007.

The picture you see is of our elevator in 1928. We've since got a new door handle.

"It was the fact the elevator was not working well," said Newman, echoing something everyone who works here is well aware. "It wasn't really to get into shape, but I started taking the stairs because the elevator was acting stupid.

"I kept doing it because I knew the elevator would break again. It has many times and I've had my little moments of victory. Now it's mostly out of habit, and I've found out it doesn't take that much longer to take the stairs."

This streak should go to at least three years. So on Oct. 1, plans are already in the works for a party where people can have cake and ice cream while working on a Stair Master.

Oh, by the way, the newsroom is located all the way up to the third floor.

No comments: