Monday, April 5, 2010

Ah, opening day!


I was trying to work with one eye on my computer and one at the TV directly to my left for the good part of two hours today. The left eye won.

Nothing quite like Opening Day in the baseball season, and nothing quite like overreaction to a win or loss on Opening Day.

The Rangers came back from 3-0 deficit -- they were being no-hit in the seventh inning -- and 4-3 in the ninth for a 5-4 win over the Blue Jays. If this were a game in June, I'd go, hey, nice little come-from-behind win.

But since it's Opening Day, it's quite appropriate to go through all the histrionics of that first game:

This is our year!
Vlad Guerrero, what an addition!
Nelson Cruz, he's come of age!
New ownership, new era, playoffs here we come!
This is going to set the stage for the entire year!

Since the Rangers are off on Tuesday, I'll have 24 hours to look up the hottest start to an MLB season. Detroit's 34-4 start in 1984 comes to mind. I think that's very doable, if not a given.

No comments: