Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nothing but net

Unlike me, not everyone is a loser at the carnival games at the Tri-State Fair. I blew $20 in 30 minutes Monday at the Fair. The first game, the Rim Rocker, required making eight free throws -- that's eight! -- in 15 seconds. Just about impossible. I converted four and thought that wasn't bad.

But little did I know about the Legend of Chris Gonzales. The 14-year-old Caprock freshman has hit all eight not once, but twice.

"He was bugging me the whole time we were there, 'I can do it, I can do it,'" said his father, Paul Ortega. "I said, 'I don't think you can.'"

What does dad know. Saturday night, he nailed eight of them, about one every two seconds. His prize was an Adrian Peterson Vikings jersey. Then he went back Sunday, and darned if he didn't do it again. This time, he got a Chris Paul Hornets jersey.

Chris, who's heavily into sports, is 5 feet tall. The jerseys are for those a little bigger.

"Like for someone who's 6-feet-2," said Ortega. "It looks like a dress on him, but he's pretty excited."

Chris was headed back to the Fair on Wednesday night to try and win a third one.

No comments: