Thursday, January 28, 2010

Not too bad -- yet

It didn't take me much longer to navigate to work from the Paramount area to downtown around 9 a.m.. It was maybe 25 minutes, and that included a stop at the grocery store.

It's amazing what can happen when you take things a little slower, and the other guy does too. My sometimes-trusty Cavalier was doing 20 to 25 mph down 34th, and the same on Georgia with no real problems.

Didn't see any spin-outs, no fish tails, no cops. All told, it was a thankfully uneventful drive. But the visibility was worsening as I got closer to downtown.

Then, again, I wasn't on I-27 or I-40 or any of the more well-traveled routes. And, of course, it's only going to get worse as the day goes on. In fact, as I'm writing this, G-N photographer Stephen Spillman is apparently stuck on the Canyon E-Way near Kimbrough Stadium.

I always get a kick out of the obligatory warning: "Don't get out and drive unless you absolutely have to." Well, who's going to go cruising around on snow and ice just for the sheer joy of it?

Those who are out in this stuff usually have to be. But it's funny what can happen when you -- and the other guy -- slow it down.

But by this afternoon, it may not be fit for man nor beast.

1 comment:

kf said...

Now this is a day for your SCARF!